Monday, December 23, 2013

Birthday!

My birthday wish this year (okay every year) was to make a trek to my favorite local yarn shop:  Churchmouse Yarns & Teas. While there are many great yarn shops in the greater Seattle area, this one holds a special place in my heart for a few reasons. One is that they carry some of my favorite wooly wools like Rowan, Jamieson's, and the ever elusive Shelter and Loft from Brooklyn Tweed. It's also just a really cute, aesthetically pleasing shop complete with tea and beautiful sample knits. The best part about this shop is that getting there requires one of my other favorite Washington things. A ferry ride! 

My good friend Sarah was awesome enough to arrange the trip and invited two other of our knitterly friends Andi and Karen. The weather was mild that day, and we were treated to an exceptional and rare winter view of Mt. Rainier on the ferry ride. We left around 11:30am but the sun is so low in the sky this time of year that it cast a lovely sunrise-like glow around the mountain. It was breathtaking!

We all settled into a booth with coffee and tea and pulled out our knitting in true knitting-nerd fashion. Andi and I snuck outside to the deck for a quick, windy view of the city and mountain, too. 





We grabbed lunch at Fork and Spoon before popping into Churchmouse and ogling all the yarny goodness. I ended up with some oatmeal colored wooly Kevin-sock yarn. Not the most exciting purchase, but I'm just coming off of my mad Christmas knitting with a few bigger projects still on the needles so it was no time for a big impulse purchase. Karen ended up with a crushworthy sweater's worth of Shelter to make the most lovely cabled, shawl collar cardigan (there might be one of those in Kevin's distant future as well). Sarah picked up the perfect yarn for an upcoming Dad sweater vest. All in all it was a very enjoyable perusal. There was just no time for picture snapping I'm afraid. 

Next we sort of stumbled upon the most perfect knitting and wine spot at Pegasus Coffee House. None of us had been here before, but I think it's going to become a regular stop on future Bainbridge outings - at least one's that include a large amount of time spent tucked in and knitting and sipping wine (shouldn't they all?). 


Thanks for a fun and full birthday trip ladies! Let's do it again next year, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment