Wednesday, February 20, 2013

52 Tuesdays (on a Wednesday): Favorite Thrifts #3

What: Roper Hiking Boots
Where: Deseret Industries in Shoreline, WA
Level of Love: 10 of 10.

This makes two shoes in a row for my 52 Tuesdays posts; but, they're very different shoes. These are a more recent thrift, and they're a favorite for very different reasons than the yellow pumps I posted about last week. I love these hiking boots because they're super functional but they also fit perfectly with my style as of late. Since moving to Washington, I've been trying to figure out what my "hiking look" looks like and assemble my hiking wardrobe accordingly. I'm not the sort of person who needs to be super stylish all the time...but I need to feel like myself in my clothes, and if I don't, then it really affects my mood and outlook. I've got to be comfortable with how I'm dressed or I don't approach my day in a comfortable way. So. I think these boots complete my hiking look. They're rugged, not fussy, classic if not a little throwback, and made out of real stuff. Fancy dancy brand new duds made out of brightly colored new age synthetic so called wonder materials are not my thing. That's fine if they're your thing. Plenty of people look awesome in tight fitting neon color blocked zip-ups made out of mystery moisture-wicking fabrics. Just not me. I look ridiculous. So, after much experimenting and some selective thrifting which was completed with the purchase of these boots, here's what my complete hiking look looks like: 


The denim shirt, cotton pants, boots, and (hand knit) cowl are the constants. The wool cardigan and hat are interchangeable with others. Lord knows I've got plenty of cardigans in my closet. I like to stick with wool - preferably lambs wool - because it's warm yet breathable and it's water resistent. Most of the time even if there's a light rain the wool is enough to keep me dry without a rain jacket layer. These photos are from a hike we took last weekend on the Oyster Dome trail. It was a new hiking area for us and the views were spectacular. 





No comments:

Post a Comment