Wednesday, November 27, 2013

FO: A Shawl for Aunt Dee








I recently finished up this shawl for my Aunt Dee and had the pleasure of delivering it to her in person during a recent trip to the Milwaukee area. I'll admit I was down to the wire to finish this one before my trip and was literally taking it off the blocking board the morning of my flight. Yikes! It was totally worth it to be able to deliver it in person, though. Love you Aunt Dee!

 The yarn was an absolute dream to work with. It's Manos del Uruguay Fino in Garnet Brooch purchased from Bad Woman Yarn. It's a blend of 30% silk and 70% extrafine merino, which makes it super soft, warm, strong, and light all at the same time, with a beautiful drape. It also has a very generous yardage per hank which means I used well under one hank for this project. And the color! Aunt Dee requested a burgundy red, and I was happy to find this beautiful shade. As you can tell from the blocking pictures, it has a beautiful yet subtle variegation in color that comes from being kettle dyed. One of the best things about Manos del Uruguay is that it's actually a non profit organization and member of the World Fair Trade Organization, whose yarns are spun and dyed by cooperatives of women in the rural areas of Uruguay. Now...what to do with the quarter-ish hank I've got left...



The patterns is one I've been wanting to knit for awhile (ever since friend Rachel made one for me as a wedding gift). It's called Shetland Triangle by Eveyln Clark. To quote the pattern notes, "The dramatic swirl of stitches on this shawl is created by Fir Cone lace, a traditional pattern from the Shetland Islands that is simple to knit and easy to memorize."Indeed, it was very easy to memorize and enjoyable to knit. As a matter of fact, I think this is the quickest shawl I've ever made at just under two weeks. Phew!

For my fellow knitters, you can find it Raveled here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment