Tuesday, November 19, 2013

52 Tuesday's: Favorite Thrifts #22



What: Harlequin Teacups 
Where: Columbus Antique Mall
Level of Love: 10 out of 10 (except I wish I had the suitcase space/luggage space/disposable income to actually have bought 10 of them) 

I was recently back in Wisconsin for a friend visit (peppered by a lovely day spent with wonderful Southern-Wisconsin family) and my good friend Lindsey took me to one of her favorite local-ish antique malls. She knows me too well! And she also enjoys antiques and thrifty things and is thus an excellent shopping mate. 

Here are a few things about the Columbus Antique Mall. One: it claims to be Wisconsin's largest antique mall (although it's website has an asterisk next to this? there is no footnote to go along with this asterisk. the asterisk may actually be a typo). Two: it includes a Christopher Columbus Museum that is self-described as a world class exhibit (no asterisk there...they say it came from an actual World's Fair exhibit. Who knew). Three: it may very well be the best antique store I've ever been to. I am not exaggerating here and do not mean to diminish all of the other wonderful antique places I've been to and loved. However, the Columbus Antique Mall is just super fantastic. 

Case in point: These two wonderful, perfect Harlequin teacups!!! Purchased for a mere $2.50 each. Can you believe it?!? I hardly could. I've seen them hovering mostly in the $10 range at other shops, if I see them at all. Their delicate little handles and relatively short production time makes them a bit more rare than most of the other things I like to collect. Plus, then were sold exclusively through Woolworth's instead of being at a variety of retailers. 

If these little beauties seem a little familiar, it may be because they're an awful lot like these from this post



They look alike because they were conceived by the same designer who made Fiestaware - Fredrick Rhead - and were manufactured by Homer Laughlin in the same colors (with a few exceptions I think). Before I knew any better / got curious and did some quality internet research, whenever I saw Harlequin at stores I assumed it was Fiestaware knock-off stuff because the shapes are similar but not the same, the colors are the same, and they don't have a back stamp. Now, I love seeing Harlequin and get especially giddy over these perfect little retro-futuristic (no I didn't just make that up) teacups with their unique shape and delicate handles. Someday, I hope to score a teapot to add to my collection...maybe next time Columbus Antique Mall. Maybe next time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment