Sunday, March 6, 2016

FO: Kevin's Christmas Hat


This year, Kevin got a hat for Christmas! The funniest part of me making this hat for him is that I did the majority of the knitting while sitting next to him on the couch. And he didn't notice a thing. I mean, I'm sure he noticed that I was knitting. But I'm basically always knitting while sitting on the couch, so he's used to it and doesn't really pay attention to the particulars. Ha! No need for secret gift knitting over here!


The pattern is the Anstruther Hat by Erica Knits. I've had my eye on it for awhile as one of several allover colorwork hats that I was considering for Kevin. At this point he's got quite the little collection of hats going, but everything is quite plain and neutral-colored. They're also all worked at a fairly large gauge.  For this hat, I wanted to make something really bold and kind of crazy. I'm always trying to get him to dress more like me, in lots of colors and patterns ;)

Plus, after making the Charlie hat for myself, I knew how great it is to have a hat knit in fingering / sport weight at this gauge. And just like the Charlie hat, I decided to use Brooklyn Tweed's Loft has the main color. I just knew he'd love the fabric it creates - warm, lightweight, and soft yet structural. As you can tell, I'm pretty stuck on Loft hats at the moment. I'm pretty sure there will be more in my future! (er, probably the futures of next year's Christmas gift recipients - this family is good on hats for awhile. ha!)


I had quite luckily picked up this little almost-complete cake of Loft at Scrap in Portland (OMG I LOVE SCRAP SO MUCH!!!!!) over the summer, and knew it'd be the perfect color. The rust-red color (technically called Embers) is just the perfect mix of bold yet muted color. And I knew it would go well with Kevin's coats, which are all either navy blue or green. For the contrasting colors, I went to my stash and pulled out my leftover balls of Local Color Rambouillet 2-Ply Fingering from my Arionette Socks and chose the indigo and onion skin colorways. I also had enough of a skein of Jamieson's Shetland Spindrift leftover for the white from who knows how long ago. Hurray for stash busting! All of these yarns played very nicely together, and I'm so happy with the result. And judging by the amount of wear it's gotten since being gifted, Kevin's pretty happy with it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment