Saturday, February 6, 2016

FO: Charlie Hat


A new hat just for meeeeeeeee! And it just may be the best hat I've ever made for myself. Sure, the small gauge and folded brim detail meant it wasn't super super quick to knit, but sometimes putting in the extra time and effort really pays off. In this case it definitely did. I love love love it so so so much. Plus that pom pom. Oh my goodness, so good.

Let's jump right into details: 

Needles: Size US 3

I bought this yarn in December 2014 at Urban Craft Uprising from the rad ladies at Spincycle Yarns. The colorway is called Tangled Up in Blue and it is just so fantastic. Very vibrant and - in my opinion - perfect for colorwork. I love how the subtle color variegation looks when paired with a lighter neutral. So good! In terms of yarn pairing, I think these two played very nicely together. Although Loft is a fingering compared to Dyed in the Wool's sport weight, it's so eh-hem lofty that they actually match up quite well. In fact, I'm so in love with this pairing that I'm planning on using it again to make myself a super special Ursula cardigan.



This was my first time doing a folded brim, and it was pretty magical. Plus SOOOOPER warm. Definitely worth the little bit of extra knitting work and semi-laborious joining row. As always, I loved knitting the colorwork and despite the small gauge it seemed like it worked up pretty quickly. I was originally planning on making a pom pom with the Spincycle, but then had the idea to make a HUGE bright flame orange one instead. I tell ya, I just can't get away from using this orange yarn! It's just so vibrant and fresh! I used the larger of my Clover pom pom makers, which I absolutely LOVE. I spent way too many years stubbornly making pom poms using a piece of cardboard. Seriously, they come out so much nice with the pom pom maker. I like to think this pom pom makes people smile on the dreary streets in the winter every time they see it. How could you see it and not smile?!?


1 comment: