Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Belated Birthday Party Post



For the culmination of Kevin's Birthday Month celebration, we decided to throw a rather last-minute birthday brunch. Since it happened right around his actual birthday in mid-September, this post is a bit belated. The idea was conceived over quite a few pints the night of his actual birthday-day, which was spent at a fantastic funk show (my man loves funk). That night in and of itself was a great time and a wonderful celebration, but we decided to go for the brunch, too.

So, what do you do when you've got a last minute party to plan? Waffles of course! Then call in a dose of beautiful fall weather, pull out the lawn games, and you're set. I used my go-to waffle recipe and pulled out both of our waffle makers. Yes. Confession: we have two waffle makers. I made a quadruple batch of batter and went into full on waffle making wizard mode. In order to have some made ahead of time and not have to spend the whole party manning the waffle make I started waffle-ing about a half hour before the party, then kept them warm in the oven. My system was to put a cooling rack on a rimmed cookie sheet, then pile the waffles in a single layer on the cooling rack so they wouldn't get soggy. Kevin also picked out a fancy sausage from one of his favorite brands.



But enough about the logistical aspects of mass waffle making. Our guests brought all sorts of lovely toppings for the waffle bar. Bananas, peach compote, whipped cream, fruit, peanut butter, and on and on. I loved all the waffle concoction combinations people came up with. It was so fun and heart warming to have our little apartment all full of life and conversation. I pulled out ALL of the Fiestaware dishes I own and the bulk utensil set that Grandma Churchill gave us for our wedding. Records were played. Mimosas were sipped. And eventually we made our way outside for croquet. The weather wasn't supposed to be nice that day, but since it was we took advantage. This was the point at which it hit me that I should pull out my camera. 














Everyone played in teams so that more could play, but I have to say spectating was pretty fun, too. Our backyard space is small, so Sarah and I (it's actually her set) had to set it up across our little driveway! Our landlady also hadn't mown the lawn in awhile (and still hasn't btw), which made for a bit of a difficult yet hilarious game. In a spark of ingenuity, people started carving out little trails by flattening the grass with their mallets so that the balls would actually go somewhere. The weather really was fantastic and a good time was had by all. 






After croquet we headed back inside with a dwindling yet still party-enthusiastic group to snack on waffle buffet leftovers and play a pretty intense game of Catch Phrase. More records, too. Oh! Then, we broke out the pick-up-sticks! A favorite game from my childhood that is still very much entertaining, especially with a group of awesome party people. 



All in all it was a fantastic get-together and I'm so glad with how it all turned out. We were left feeling so thankful for the good friends we've made since moving to Seattle (thanks friends!), and I was left feeling totally addicted to party hosting. What shall we do next???

No comments:

Post a Comment