Tuesday, October 15, 2013

52 Tuesday's: Favorite Thrifts #20




What: Silver (for reals this time!) Candlesticks
Where: St Vincent in Monroe, WA
Level of Love: 9 out of 10

I guess I'm still on the silver theme from last week. Although this week, I've got articles of actual sterling silver. Or so says the little sticker on the bottom of these. I have not sent them off to a metallurgist for confirmation of this. The search for these was inspired by a pair of silver candlesticks owned by my mother. If my memory is correct, she told me she got hers as a wedding gift, but I am not certain from whom. I have always loved those candlesticks and confess that in truth I still prefer them to these (thus the 9 out of 10). Mom's are much heavier - I think they're solid silver while these are probably not - and don't have any ornamentation at all. My search for my own set began in earnest after a trip home and a dinner with the candlesticks on the table. I decided I must keep an eye out for a pair of my very own. 

I figured it would be simple the find a little set of tarnished silver candlesticks at one of the many thrift stores I just happen to (ahem) frequent. Folks: I was wrong. There's plenty of brass and a shortage of silver. I became disheartened and started to do a bit of shameful internet searching, which misses the whole point of treasure hunting in my book and should only be resorted to in desperate, time-sensitive gift buying scenarios. Luckily I couldn't pull the trigger on one of the many Etsy listings I favorited and decided to stick to the whims of the thrift gods. I have often said you can find anything at a thrift store - it just depends on how long you can wait. I would bet money on finding an iPhone at a thrift store someday. But that's just not the sort of thing you can wait that long for. 

Fortunately, silver candlesticks are not the sort of thing that suffer from a little waiting. This lovely pair was plucked off the shelves at the St. Vincent de Paul in Monroe, WA. This happened to be on the same trip that we picked up our rickety old coffee grinder at the Monroe flea market. I like them best when they're sitting on our kitchen table with natural beeswax tapper candles in them. 

I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment