Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Homemade Granola



Granola is so tasty, no? If you do not agree, this post is not for you. Granola used to be one of our splurge purchases at the grocery store. Despite getting it from the bulk food section it was always one of the highest priced items on the list. And sometimes they'd be out of our favorite variety. Boo.

Enter this recipe from Bon Appétit (which happened to be part of one of my most favorite features ever: a collection of the editor's favorite breakfast recipes. Uh, breakfast is the best meal, am I right?). I was still skeptical because in my mind making granola sounded like too much work when you could just go buy it already made and delicious. I know, I know. This sounds pretty hypocritical from a person who makes hand knit socks. Whatever, the world is full of contradictions folks. Moving on. Despite my skepticism I decided to give it a go. As it happens, making your own granola is super easy and it turns out even more delicious than the store bought variety (in my opinion). What I like most is that I can make it a little bit more well done than grocery store granola, which makes for awesome carmelly flavored cereal milk. Also you can put whatever you like it in so you are always making your favorite kind. 

I've modified the recipe a bit from the original. Here's how I make it: 

Ingredients: 




  • 1 egg white, beaten a little bit (but not until foamy)
  • 3 cups old-fashioned oats
  • 1 1/2 cup slivered almonds
  • 1 1/2 cup coconut shavings (preferably unsweetened, but if I've only got the sweetened kind on hand I'll use those and then omit the extra brown sugar)
  • 1/2 cup agave syrup
  • 1/4 cup coconut oil, warmed
  • 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
  • 1/4 cup sesame seeds
  • 2 Tbsp ground flax seed
  • 1 Tbsp brown sugar, packed
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1 cup dried cranberries
Preheat oven to 300°. Combine everything but the cranberries in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Cover a large (preferably rimmed) baking sheet with parchment paper and spread mixture on top. Bake for 15 minutes, then check on it and flip it as best you can without sending granola cascading to the bottom of your oven where it will later burn and create a horrible stench. Do this two more times (or until your desired done-ness). That means it will be baking for a total of 45 minutes. Take out and let cool on the baking sheet. Once cool, sprinkle with cranberries and transfer to container. The recipe suggests it can be kept up to 2 weeks in an airtight container. 





No comments:

Post a Comment