Saturday, April 27, 2013

FO: A Sweater for Mom


This sweater is the first one I've made for my Mom. I've made her quite a few things in the past - in fact she's probably my number one recipient, even over Kevin - but had yet to tackle making her a sweater. So, this year for Christmas I decided to take the plunge. Mom is a lover of all things winter, especially snow. So, this design was perfect for her. I fell in love with the design even before I started thinking of making a Mom sweater. It's by one of  my favorite knitwear designers Kate Davies. This specific pattern is called Boreal.

When picking out colors, I knew Mom would love a classic red and cream choice. The cream colored yarn is Lion Brand Fisherman's wool, which I've used for many projects before and had on hand. It's a very good all around sweater yarn. In fact, the first sweater I ever made for myself was a white cabled darling made from this yarn. Could have been this very skein. The red is recycled yarn. Meaning, it used to be a sweater made by Gap that I picked up for a pittance at a thrift store. Unravel. Wind into a ball. Reknit.

Now, you may be aware that it is currently not Christmas. Yes. Well. There are no excuses. Other than the fact that I started it with way too aggressive of a timeline. Decided "sweater for Christmas!" in November. Not the best planning on my part. That said, it did come out fairly quickly. As you may recall, Boreal made her first appearance in this post from early March, after being finished middle of February. 4ish months is not so bad in my book.


No comments:

Post a Comment