Thursday, November 8, 2012

Knit in the Shetland Isles

First. I did not knit this sweater.  Just to be clear.  But is is a hand-knit sweater and it is a work of art. I feel so lucky that it found its way to me.  I had been keeping tabs on this year's Shetland Wool Week through the posts of one of my favorite designers Kate Davies and was feeling downright homesick for Scotland.  Even though we only spent roughly six months plus seven weeks living there all told, it was such a memorable experience that had such a profound impact in our lives that I think about our time there almost daily.  Scotland will always feel like one of the places I can call home in my heart.  So yes.  I was yearning to jump on a plane to Shetland.

Instead, I did what I normally do after work and stopped in at one of the thrift stores that are conveniently (dangerously) located on my drive home.  And there it was.  A beautifully yoke neck sweater in my favorite color, knit just for me in the Shetland Isles.  Okay, so it maybe wasn't knit just for me.  But is certainly is beautiful and it was just what I needed. Sometimes I feel a bit sad when I find a lovely hand knit at a thrift store.  I mean, someone somewhere decided to get rid of it.  Even when the original owner is gone, I like to think that lovely hand-knit items will be passed down as treasured heirlooms to the next generation.  However, more often than not (okay, pretty much always)  I take that lovely item home with me where I'll love it and take care of it and wear it often.  I even shower it with compliments about it's beautiful stitch definition, perfect color gradient, and superb construction. So, in the end, I don't feel bad at all that it ended up at the thrift store. Instead I'm happy I'm the one who got to take it home.



No comments:

Post a Comment