Saturday, April 2, 2016

March in Instagrams

The name of the month this time appears to be knitting, shows, and friend hangs. And that one time I made a pretty dinner. This seems fairly predictable. So much so that I almost stopped myself from posting a roundup this month. In the end, though, I realized I'm fine with being predictable and also cant' resist recording these little snapshots of nostalgia to look back on later. 

As always, clockwise from top left....



1. Socks on a plane! I finished this pair of self-patterning socks while on the plane back from Wisconsin at the beginning of the month. I'm not planning on doing an FO post for these, so here's a little more detail: Yarn is Arne and Carlos for Schachenmayr Regia in the Moon Night colorway. The idea is that it's all one skein of yarn, dyed in such a way as to make a Norwegian-ish colorwork design. They were a easy, portable project to take on the trip, but I'm only so-so about the results. The pattern is a bit less striking that I was hoping it would be...and also I'm just not that into wearing socks. If your super into socks and okay with colorwork that's a bit blurry (still not sure if I should have done something differently to make it more pronounced...it could have been me) then I would definitely recommend this yarn.

2.  A typical Friday night and the very start of my Ursula Cardigan!!! I'm making it with Loft and Spincycle Dyed in the Wool. It'll be my first steeked project. It's also probably the most selfish sweater I've ever made, having thrown budgetary concerns to the wind on a sweater for myself for the first time! That and the fact that it's knit on size 4 needles means that lots of time and money are going to go into this sweater. Good thing I'm already in love with it. 

3. Records + pasta making party! Hopefully this will be the first of many record-listening get-togethers that also involve tasty food. If only I could remember and document all the albums we listening to...

4. Another Friday night, another shot of my Ursula! This was just after I had finished the grueling 4.5 inches of ribbing on size 1 needles. Hurray! (I hat ribbing). 


 1. A pretty and easy dish from Plenty. I got this cookbook for Christmas from my Mom and have been slowly trying to work my way through some of its recipes. I love new cookbooks, but I really have to force myself to cook from them in order to get the recipes into my head and into weekly rotation. Otherwise, I tend to forget to try new recipes and instead just pick things out of my memory when making the grocery list.

2. I love it when he wears all the wool. And that jean jacket (swooooooon). On this particular knit he selected a me-made hat and sweater to wear to the Georgetown Artwalk. This was after we felt we had looked at a sufficient amount of art to justify planting at a bar instead.

3. A super, duper old hat for Kevin that was recently unearthed. I think I made this back when we were still in college (10 years ago?). It's out of a 100% acrylic yarn that I probably bought at Joanne Fabrics. How the times have changed. It has not held up well after all these years, but as I remember it was well loved in its day.

4. The Ursula grows!! I took this picture while doing my favorite lunchtime activity of skipping out on the gym and just knitting and listening to a podcast instead. Arn't those color changes so lovely? That's the magic of Spincyle.


1. Oh it's so fun to go to shows. Especially when its Wimps at the Black Lodge (or anywhere, really....these Wimps are so. good.). If you like good old fashion fun music then definitely check them out. That is quite possibly not a great description of their music, but it's all I'm going to attempt.

2. A particularly wonderful strip of my friend and Erin and I in which our outfits just happened to match the photo booth curtain. This was during 90's Dance Party at the Lo-Fi (gawd this post is too long and I'm getting link fatigue). Does anyone else do that thing where you plan out your photo booth poses before you put your money in? So that you're ready for the camera flashes ahead of time? I think my friend Sarah was the first one to introduce me to this concept and it's so helpful. I think our plan for this one was: regular-happy-smiles, badass peace signs, super-serious faces, and CRAZY!! The crazy one is my favorite.

3. More baby gifts! This is the Mae Cardigan by Quince and Co and a free pattern called Lilacs for Lilah (available on Ravelry). I'm particularly happy with how the sweater turned out and am definitely going to make more of these. I even think it could be gender neutral in a different color choice, and maybe even a different pattern edge. This stack was made for a sweet little girl named Agatha :)

4. And finally!! On the very last day of March: a TacocaT show (aka that Taco Cat-Band). This was at their album release show at Chop Suey and it was a good, good time. Also, Mommy Long Legs opened and they are just. so. good. Really, sooooo gooooood. Other highlights of the evening included talking Erin and Andi into wearing temporary sparkle tattoos, repeatedly squishing three people in the photobooth at the back, Kevin being his wonderful mosh-fairy self, and of course following it up with late night breakfast to cure all of our hangover blues. Oh and I got to wear a super sparkly shirt.

No comments:

Post a Comment