Tuesday, January 8, 2013

FO(s): Man Hats

Both Kevin and Scottie got new wool hats in time for winter this year. I gifted Kevin's to him for his birthday back in September and Scott got his for Christmas. Both of these hats are patterns from Jared Flood. He's sort of my go-to man hat designer. Actually, everything he designs is swoon worthy, it's just that I've only actually made his hats so far. Although I've spent plenty of time swooning over his other designs. I love how thoughtful, classic, and yet modern his pieces are. Next up I think I might try one of these. Anyway. Let's not digress into discussing future knitting projects. That could be a very long digression indeed.

The yarn I used for both is recycled. Meaning it was an item that I bought at a thrift store, ripped out, wound into a ball, and knit up again into something new. Kevin's used to be a scarf and Scott's was a sweater. Size US 7 needles. My only modification was doing 4" of ribbing. I like to make the ribbing extra long so that it can be folded up and worn like they're wearing them in these photos.


Kevin is sporting a Habitat. I think there's something both contemporary and timeless about this hat. Like you could find it either on the shelves at some swanky store or in the back of your grandfather's closet - looking the same as the day it was made. I've made this pattern once before already - way back when - and I know it's a pattern I'll be repeating often.
Scott's hat is called Koolhass. This was the first time I'd made this hat and I really enjoyed it. I love how it came out and expect this will become another favorite. In fact, this hat has a Seattle connection as it was inspired by the Seattle Public Library building. It's name comes from the building's architect Rem Koolhass. This hat definitely has a more modern feel, but I think making it with this wool and the extra long ribbing give it a classic fisherman hat feel as well. 


3 comments:

  1. LOVE those Jamie. Fantastic work! Let's get Churchillbags.com back up and running so I can buy one from you :)

    <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to make you a hat! I couldn't charge you for one of these because they aren't my designs, but I would be more than happy to give you one. Send me a message with what you have in mind or the kinds of hats you like to wear and I'll see what I can do!

      Delete
  2. That's a koolhass hat! baa dum chhhhh!

    ReplyDelete